Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan

I'm pretty glad I didn't buy this pan. I borrowed it and maybe I just didn't have the finesse to get a cupcake that looked like the photo. I couldn't find directions anywhere, not even on the Wilton website. I used the cake box instructions; it took quite a while longer to bake (after all, you have to put A LOT of batter in each side). I had a very hard time getting the bottom of the cupcake out of the pan and even more trouble getting the top out. After Doug helped me get the 2 pieces out, it took frosting to put the pieces back together. I think with some practice it could be a really fun pan, but it takes too much energy and cake batter for me to put the effort into it. I think this pan in a silicon version would be much easier to use.Oh yeah, note to self....put it together AFTER you arrive at your destination. That was a hard lesson learned. This cupcake is pretty top heavy and of all the things I have in the kitchen, I couldn't find anything to put it in. I braced it as well as I could in a large bowl, but it still tipped over.

3 comments:

  1. I bought this ($10 on craigslist.com), and I am super excited. I have already used it, and the only thing I wish they had done is not make it one large pan. It would be nice if they were seperate pans. Then you can cook them without burning one and undercooking the other. Other than that, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a follow up to my previous comment. I tried this for my birthday. It was horrible! The cake burned, it didn't cook evenly, and it took like an hour to cook!
    So I googled, because I didn't get the wilton instructions, and found some tv reporter in who knows where who did this pan. She suggested to make the cake mix, split it in half, and cook for 1 hour at 325 F. I also found someone else who suggested putting the mix in the bottom and cook it for about 10-15 minutes, then filling the top and finish cooking both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was given the giant cupcake pan in the silicon version. I'll try it soon and post how it goes. Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete